The Mission House (1928) stands on the outskirts of the city of Hoorn and is the last remaining well preserved seminary in West-Friesland (north-western region of the Netherlands). The building, seen as the most important piece in the works of the architect S.W. Langius, is set up according to traditional monastery buildings, but contains also many late-Amsterdam School features, resulting in an extensive complex with four wings ( 1 taller porch) around a rectangular inner court on spacious grounds.
Although the exterior of the building has undergone several smaller alterations since the Mission house closed in 1983, the interior with wonderful style elements was preserved in mainly original style. On the grounds are still the farm and swinery of 1939 (built in Delft Schoolstyle), that once belonged to the Mission house.
Developer de Nijs and our architect office were asked in 2006 to research the possibilities of preservation and redevelopment of the Mission house. Residential or leisure-functions were not opportune for this location. Even though there was also need for a grand design for the greater terrain, the redevelopment of the Mission house was viewed to be more urgent.
After surveys and analyses we concluded that the layout of the building was inefficient; too many hallways, no clear divisions. We made a plan for the redevelopment, which consisted of
- cleaning and repairing the exterior;
- removing all later alterations (outside and inside);
- not adding to the building volume, but capping the inner court, which could then function as central acces, with elevators and staircases leading to the new office units;
- better climate control, with a central climate/ventilation installation and thermal glass in the roof windows;
- turning the dark and somber chapel into a special convention- and reception room by extending the windows;
- restoring the interior, for example the chapel, prayer banks, brick balustrades and staircases, pointed arched doorways, trough vaults and an old bakery-oven in the cellar.
Furthermore it would be possible add some small (office)buildings on the terrain, while still retaining the shady atmosphere.
Total buildingcosts to restore the Mission house, including the gardens, were estimated to be € 6.000.000,- (without VAT or acquisition costs).
based on these plans, de Nijs reached an agreement with the town of Hoorn about acquisition. In March 2006 the plans were developed for the zoning-planprocedure and the recruitment of definite buyers and tenants.
After that a long silence followed. In January of 2012 the board of Tabor-college expressed their interest in the Missionhouse, as a wonderful location for accommodations for top-athletes and schooling.
The Mission house still stands without any real use or residence-function, waiting for the decisions that need to be made. For now, the temporary schoolclasses are still in use, waiting for better times.